Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Remembering Laura


Today is my niece Laura's birthday. If she was alive she would be 20 years old. She died unexpectedly just after her 11th birthday. I do not know how long grief can last but I still feel the pain especially on holidays, her birthday and the anniversary of her death. I try to think of the positives of her life - the fun she was, how she loved pizza and swimming in the pool. She loved my horses and would ride day and night if we would let her. I remember her long dark hair and her beautiful skin. She loved to enter a room and exclaim "Give a Kid a Cookie!" She was so funny!
With her death she saved at least 6 other children with her organs. This is the one and only bright spot of her death. Do me a favor and give your kids a big hug today! I will always miss my Baby Cakes.

Think of Laura
by Christopher Cross

Every once in a while I'd see her smile
And she'd turn my day around
A girl with those eyes
Could stare through the lies
And see what your heart was saying

Think of Laura but laugh don't cry
I know she'd want it that way
When you think of Laura laugh don't cry
I know she'd want it that way

A friend of a friend
A friend to the end
That's the kind of girl she was
Taken away so young
Taken away without a warning

I know you and you're here
In every day we live
I know her and she's here
I can feel her when I sing

Hey Laura, where are you now
Are you far away from here
I don't think so
I think you're here
Taking our tears away

1 comment:

ThePoolGirl said...

Since my name is Laura, this really caught my interest and touched me. You must miss her so much. It's always tragic when one loses a life but especially when so young. The organ donation thing is wonderful and so caring...hard for the families sometimes...but what an amazing gift to come through a tragedy.